First of all, I hope all of you who decided to read this blog post choose to make this one day. I realize not everyone is familiar of quinoa but this is a great recipe to start off your adventure with it. To be honest, my first time having quinoa was probably in the past year… So I waited 22 years of my life and I am very happy to have found it and have already cooked it with many different vegetables.
Tonight my mom made this amazing quinoa salad. She found it online by typing in kale, quinoa, beets all into google and came across a similar recipe to the one I have posted. I will post the site at the bottom of the page. Once I grabbed a spoonful of this before anyone even sat down for dinner, I know, I do that a lot, anyways I knew immediately this needed to get posted on here. I apologize for the lack of picture quality in the photo above. (my camera is temporarily broken) My iPhone will be in charge of taking photos on my future blog posts indefinitely….
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1/2 pounds of beets, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 5 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan, fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Cover pan and bring the water to a boil. Add 1/2 pound of beets to the steamer, cover pan, and steam until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Bring quinoa and 2 cups of water in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and all of the liquid is gone. If you have a rice cooker, you can also cook the quinoa in there under “white rice” option and it usually is done earlier. It should take 15 minutes if you choose to use the saucepan.
- While quinoa is cooking, whisk balsamic vinegar, olive oil, sugar, garlic, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl.
- Remove quinoa from heat to a large bowl, then add half of the vinegar dressing to the quinoa and stir with fork. Cover and refrigerate quinoa until cool, at least 1 hour.
- Stir kale, goat cheese, beets, and remaining of the dressing into the quinoa mixture.
Can find original recipe at this site: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-beet-and-arugula-salad/detail.aspx