So this is what you do when you have plenty of cilantro in the house, may it be from an excess amount in your garden or you just have some lying around from the grocery run last week… Last night my friends and I decided to make cilantro pesto pasta with yams and a tomato avocado salad. I doubled this recipe to make enough to serve 5 adults with plenty of left overs. I usually make pesto with spinach so this recipe was new to me and tasted delicious!
The yams were cooked with a hint of garlic salt, sea salt, brown sugar, and black pepper in the stove at 450 degrees for 30 minutes. Remember to flip the yam pieces over after 15 minutes.
Cilantro Pesto Recipe
- 1 cup freshly packed cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup of almonds or walnuts
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
Making the pesto:
- Combine cilantro, almonds, and garlic in food processor until purée and smooth.
- Add parmesan, oil, and salt until it appears like a smooth paste.
- This pesto may appear more thick than usual and you can use this as a chip dip. If you want to add it to pasta then definitely add more water until it looks more like pasta sauce texture.